Canvas is the TU/e online Learning Management System. This online system contains all your course material – project groups, assignments, quizzes and much more besides – as a supplement to the face-to-face education at the university. You can also use Canvas to communicate with your lecturer.
In principle, content is added to Canvas using a template, but your lecturer may depart from this. This means that the menu items below may be shown in a different order, or your lecturer might not use certain items.
Here you can find course information, such as the structure of the course and how the final examination and assessment takes place. Your lecturer will provide the information per week or per topic.
Here you can see – per date – what course material you must know, what assignments you need to do and when you have a deadline.
The item “Announcements” contains all kinds of general announcements from your lecturer about the course you are taking. These announcements are meant for everyone who is taking the course in question, or for the individual working groups.
You can find your homework assignments in “Assignments”. Your lecturer assesses your work and also often gives feedback. Here you can also respond to any feedback you have been given.
This is the place where you can ask any questions you have, not just for your lecturer, but also your fellow students.
In Grades you can see the results for all your homework assignments and quizzes. You can see what you did wrong straight away, and you will often find feedback that you can learn from.
Here you can register for a group – or the lecturer will register you - and you can see which students are in your group.
Besides homework assignments, as a student you will sometimes also be asked to do a quiz. You will find these quizzes here, as well as any feedback on quizzes you have already completed.
Finally, in Canvas you can also find the contact details of your lecturer and other people you may need to contact.
- If you are unable to log in, this may be because something went wrong with your registration, or you entered an incorrect password. Please check this first before getting in touch with the ESA helpdesk.
- Make sure that you do not switch off all notifications. Although it may sometimes result in an information overload, please leave ‘announcement notifications’ on. This is where you will receive announcements about grades that are online.
- If you are unable to find your course in Canvas, then something probably went wrong with your registration in Osiris. Please check this first. Another possibility is that the Canvas course is still not opened by the lecturer. In this case, please consult the lecturer.
- You can find more information about the various options offered in Canvas in the student guide: Canvas Student Guide.
- Some departments provide their own course where relevant information about the study program is shared. Sometimes you need to register for this yourself, and some departments will send you an email with a link to the course. Here you will find announcements concerning things you need to know.
Want to know more? Contact the ESA Helpdesk at 040 - 247 4747 or via the contact form below.