Enrollment and related Rights and Obligations

The WHW provides for two forms of enrollment: as a student (for a full-time or part-time program) or as an external student (only to take interim and final examinations). Different rights and obligations are attached to these forms of enrollment, and there also is a difference in tuition and examination fees. In certain cases, students who terminate enrollment prematurely may be entitled to have part of their tuition fees refunded.

3.1 Enrollment

3.1.1 Rights and obligations relating to enrollment as a student 

Those who are enrolled at TU/e as students in a full-time or part-time program have the following rights: 

  • participation in the education within the program;
  • taking interim and final examinations and taking part in practical exercises within the program;
  • access to libraries, laboratories etc., unless the CvB decides that the nature or importance of the education or research precludes this;
  • use of student facilities, including ESA student advisors;
  • student counseling (see chapter 4.4); 
  • if the Minister or TU/e decides to terminate the program: the opportunity to complete the program within a reasonable period of time at TU/e or at another institute of higher education; 
  • active and passive right to vote for advisory councils. 

In principle, students taking a full-time degree program are entitled to funding, comprising a student loan (previously the basic grant), a possible supplementary grant (depending on the level of the student’s parents’ income) and a student travel product (see also section 4.6 of Chapter 4 of this statute). With effect from 2016–2017, part-time students will have the right to a study advance under the Study Advance Act (Wet Studievoorschot).

Students can enroll in a single program or several programs, at the same or at different institutes. They pay the full tuition fee at the institute where they first enroll and may then, under certain circumstances, obtain a reduction of or exemption from tuition fees at the second institute at which they enroll (see also section 3.3 of this statute). The first enrollment is also known as the main enrollment and the second enrollment as secondary enrollment. This difference affects, for example, the right to purchase a notebook from the TU/e; students not primarily enrolled at the TU/e do not qualify (see section 3.4 of this statute). 

3.1.2 Enrollment as an external student

Those who are enrolled at TU/e as external students have the following rights: 

  • taking interim and final examinations within the program;
  • access to the libraries, laboratories etc. unless the CvB decides that the nature or importance of the education or research precludes this.

External students cannot take part in any of the educational components and do not have the right to receive study guidance. As a result of this, it is almost impossible to graduate as an external student. External students do not have the right to a study grant. 

3.1.3 Enrollment as a contract student

Apart from the forms of enrollment prescribed in the WHW – as a student and as an external student – the TU/e also offers the possibility to enroll as a contract student. This form of enrollment has various rights and obligations and the costs are different to the regular tuition fee. This student statute does not apply to students enrolled on a contract basis.

For more information on enrollment on a contract basis, see the contract students’ regulations. These regulations can be downloaded from educationguide.tue.nl.

Further information on the enrollment procedure

Legislation and regulations:

  • Articles 7.32 through 7.37 of the WHW; 
  • TU/e 2016 Regulations on Registration, the Academic Career Check, Enrollment, and Termination of Enrollment;
  • Regulations for contract students 2012 (approved by the CvB on June 21st, 2012).

Information from:

  • ESA, tel. +31 (0)40 247 47 47

3.2 Termination of enrollment

Termination by the student:

Students enrolled in a program can request termination of the enrollment during the academic year using the special enrollment termination form, which is available from the ESA service desk. It is important to take account of the following:

  1. Termination of enrollment cannot be backdated. It is therefore important to submit the termination form to the ESA as soon as possible. 
  2. Enrollment will always be terminated at the start of the month following the request for termination of enrollment. For example, if a request is submitted on January 19th, 2017, the student’s enrollment will be terminated as of February 1st, 2017.
  3. It is not possible to terminate enrollment through Studielink. Students must use the termination of enrollment form for this purpose.

Students who have graduated must remember to request termination of enrollment in time!
Enrollment can only be terminated with full repayment of tuition or examination fees already paid up to September 1st of the calendar year in which the academic year begins.   

See also paragraph 3.3.3 of this statute for tuition fee refunds in the event of termination of enrollment.

Termination by the Executive Board

The TU/e will terminate a student’s enrollment in a specific Bachelor’s program if he is issued with a negative study recommendation at the end of the first year of study. Students who have been issued with a binding study recommendation may not re-enroll in the same program at the TU/e for a period of three years. The same applies to students in pre-Master’s programs. If a student in a pre-Master’s program does not meet the 75% study progress requirement in the first year, he will not be permitted to continue the program. In addition, for a period of three years the student will not be admitted to the same pre-Master’s program or any other pre-Master’s program linked to the same Bachelor’s program. The Examination Committee may decide otherwise in special circumstances. 

If a student fails to pay the tuition fee even after being issued with demands to do so, the Executive Board may terminate the enrollment. The law specifies that enrollment will be terminated as of the second month following the official demand. In other words, if the student receives the demand in October, his enrollment can be terminated as of December 1st. The student still must make payment of tuition fees, including those for that month.  

The Executive Board can also terminate the enrollment of a student whose conduct or statements make it clear that he is unfit to practice one or more of the professions for which he is being trained in the program. An example may be a student who is training to be a teacher and who will be working with children on completion of the program, who demonstrates pedophilic tendencies. 

Finally, on the recommendation of the Examination Committee, the Executive Board can terminate the enrollment of a student who is guilty of ‘serious’ fraud/cheating. The definition of ‘serious’ fraud can be found in the Regulations of the Examination Committee.

Further information on termination of enrollment

Legislation and regulations:

  • Article 7.42 of the WHW; 
  • TU/e 2017 Registration, the Academic Career Check, Enrollment, and Termination of Enrollment

Information from:

  • ESA, tel. +31 (0)40 247 47 47

3.3 Tuition and examination fees

3.3.1 Payment of tuition fees and tuition-fee credit

One of the conditions for being enrolled is payment of tuition fees (for students) or examination fees (for external students). 

For those enrolling as students in full-time programs, there are different rates for tuition fees: the statutory tuition fee, which has been set at €2,006 for the 2017–2018 academic year,

and the tuition fee set by the CvB (institutional rate), which comprises two rates in the 2016–2017 academic year: the low institutional tuition fee for students from within the EEA (European Economic Area) (€1,984) and the higher institutional rate for non-EEA students (see paragraph 3.3.2). For students following a pre-Master’s program, fees are calculated on the basis of €33.43 per credit. 

3.3.2. Tuition and examination fee 2017-2018
Amount and type of feeConditions

€2,006 (statutory fee)

Bachelor's, Master's or pre-Master's students who:

  • fulfill the nationality requirement.
B€10,000 (‘high’ institution rate for Bachelor’s students)

Bachelor's students who:

  • do not fulfill the nationality requirement.

Transitional Arrangement (CvB decision of June 16, 2016).

Bachelor’s students who do not fulfill the nationality requirement and who started their study at the TU/e before September 1st, 2016 pay €8,825 (‘transitional’ institution rate for Bachelor’s  students).

C€15,000 (‘high’ institution rate for pre-Master’s / Master’s students)

Master's students who:

  • do not fulfill the nationality requirement.

Transitional Arrangement (CvB decision of June 16, 2016).

Master’s and pre-Master’s students who do not fulfill the nationality requirement and who started their study at the TU/e before September 1st, 2016 pay €13,790 (‘transitional’ institution rate for Master’s students).

D€1,003 (examination fee for external students)

External Bachelor's, pre-Master's and Master's students who:

  • fulfill the nationality requirement.
E€5,000 (examination fee for external Bachelor’s students)

External Bachelor's students who:

  • do not fulfill the nationality requirement
F€7,500 (examination fee for external pre-Master’s / Master’s students)

External pre-Master's / Master's students who:

  • do not fulfill the nationality requirement

€33.43 per credit

(fees for pre-Master’s programs are calculated per credit)
Fees for pre-Master’s students (both EEA and non-EEA) for taking study components as part of a pre-Master’s program or for permission from the Examination Committee to take Bachelor’s or Master’s study components¹
H€500 (contract student rate per series of lectures)
Special programs:
Amount and type
of fee
I€7,500 (institutional rate
 for European programs:
TU/e is the entry point2)
Master's students who do not fulfill the nationality requirement for the SENSE and EIT-ICT programs.
J€15,000 (institutional rate
for European programs:
the TU/e is the exit point3)
Master's students who do not fulfill the nationality requirement for the EIT-ICT, SELECT and SENSE programs.


¹ Because of extra administrative costs associated with paying for the Master's courses, an administrative fee is charged that is equal to the administrative fee for staggered payment of tuition fees (€24).

² If the TU/e is the entry point, students spend the first year of the two year program at the TU/e. Students spend the second year at one of the partner universities. In such cases, they are enrolled as students of the TU/e for both years.

³ If the TU/e is the exit point, students spend the second year of the two year program at the TU/e, having spent the first year at one of the partner universities. In such cases, they are enrolled as students of the TU/e for one years.

Note: the institutional rate for Summa Tech EEA students is equal to the statutory fee up to 2020.

At the TU/e, the rates of enrollment for part-time students of the SEC program are the same as for full-time students.

Requirements regarding tuition fees

Nationality requirement: 

  1. The student is a national of an EU member state or of Norway, Switzerland, Iceland, Liechtenstein or Suriname, or 
  2. The student is a national of another country, but holds a residence permit that entitles him to a study grant. Students can find out whether this applies to them by doing the nationality check at the DUO website: https://duo.nl/apps/nationaliteitenschema/index.html#nl

    If the residence permit does entitle the student to a study grant, the ESA requires a copy of the letter from the DUO to confirm this.

Refugee students supported by the Stichting voor Vluchteling-Studenten UAF are entitled to paying the low institutional rate, whether they are enrolled in a Bachelor’s or a Master’s program (€1,984 instead of €10,000 or €15,000).  

The EU runs various Erasmus Mundus (EM) programs. There are also several Knowledge and Innovation Communities (KIC) programs run by the European Institute of Innovation and Technology (EIT). The ESA can provide further information on these programs and the relevant tuition fees.

The TU/e offers students the option of paying the tuition fee in installments. This option is not available for examination fees or fees for pre-Master’s programs. Examination fees and fees for pre-Master’s programs must be paid in full by September 30th or February 28th (enrollment February 1st) at the latest. When it sends the enrollment documents, the TU/e will inform students how and under what conditions the tuition fees can be paid in installments. For the academic year 2017–2018 the TU/e has started a pilot project in which students have the option to authorize a direct debit payment per month of €200.60 for ten terms to cover tuition fees., For Bachelor’s students who have to pay tuition fees of €10,000, the installments are €1,000. For Master’s students who have to pay tuition fees of €15,000, the installments are €1,500. The administrative costs for payment in installments are €24. In order to take advantage of the option to pay in installments, students must submit an authorization for direct debit to the ESA. They can do this before or during the academic year in question. The direct debit option is open only to students who have a Dutch bank account, and if they have authorized the direct debit from that account.   

The single direct debit payment for the full amount takes place on September 7. 

The direct debits in installments (ten terms) are as follows:

1. Monday September 25, 2017

2. Wednesday October 25, 2017

3. Saturday November 25, 2017

4. Friday December 22, 2017

5. Thursday January 25, 2018

6. Sunday February 25, 2018

7. Sunday March 25, 2018

8. Wednesday April 25, 2018

9. Friday May 25, 2018

10. Monday June 25, 2018

Enrollment may not be dependent on any other monetary contribution than the tuition or examination fees mentioned in or based on the WHW. The cost of study materials for the student’s own use (e.g. books and materials for practicals) for the purpose of following the program or taking the interim and final examinations are always borne by the student (including external students).

Tuition-fee loan

Students in higher education can also apply to the DUO for a loan to pay their tuition fees. This is known as ‘tuition-fee loan’ and is part of students’ financial assistance. Similar to the rest of the assistance, the tuition fee loan is paid per month. Students can obtain a tuition-fee loan for the statutory fee as well as the institutional fee. They can borrow the whole amount, or part of it. They can always obtain a tuition-fee loan up to the amount of the statutory tuition fee. A higher loan, if required, is possible where the student pays an institutional fee that is higher than the statutory fee. They can obtain a higher loan if their institute rate is higher than the statutory rate, up to a maximum of five times the amount of the statutory fee.


In the four years following the introduction of the Study Advance Act (Wet Studievoorschot) students entering higher education receive a voucher. They can use the voucher five to ten years after graduation to take a funded or non-funded higher education course in the Netherlands accredited by the NVAO (Accreditation Organisation of the Netherlands and Flanders). The voucher is worth €2,000 and is index linked. Students should apply for this voucher when they register. It is intended as compensation for study costs, not as funding for a full degree program. The voucher will be paid to the institution at which the student is continuing his education. The student should indicate on enrollment whether he will be making use of a voucher. It may be the case that the voucher does not all cover the costs, in which case the student has to pay any additional amount.

Further information on tuition and examination fees

Legislation and regulations:

Fore more information:

 3.3.3 Reduction of or exemption from tuition fees

The statutory and institutional tuition fees will be reduced by one twelfth for every month that a student is not enrolled:

  • for those who are enrolled in the course of the academic year;
  • for those whose enrollment has been terminated on request, or by or on behalf of the board of the institute, in such cases as referred to in paragraph 3.2b, of this statute, and who wish to be enrolled in a program again during the same academic year.

Reduction of or exemption from statutory and/or institutional tuition fees or fees for a pre-Master’s program is possible in the case of secondary or subsequent enrollment at a Dutch university or institute of higher professional education. This can be the same university as the main enrollment or a different one. If the secondary enrollment is more expensive than the first one, the student will pay the difference. If the secondary enrollment is less expensive than the first one (e.g. the first enrollment is for a full-time program and the secondary enrollment is for a part-time program), the student can never be reimbursed for the difference; he will be exempted from paying the tuition fees for the second program.

If a student wishes to go to another university or institute of higher professional education for a secondary or subsequent enrollment, for which he must pay institute tuition fees, it is suggested that he enquires first about regulations in force at the institute regarding reduction of or exemption from institute tuition fees.

Further information on reduction of or exemption from tuition fees

Legislation and regulations:

Fore more information:

  • ESA, tel +31 (0)40 247 47 47

3.3.4 Reimbursement of tuition fees

Partial or full reimbursement of the statutory and institutional tuition fees is possible in the following cases: 

  • in the case of termination, for every month after enrollment has been terminated, one twelfth of the tuition fee will be reimbursed. If enrollment is terminated as of July 1st or August 1st, the student is not entitled to reimbursement of the tuition fee for those months.
  • • in the case of the student’s death during the academic year, one twelfth of the tuition fee paid will be reimbursed to his relatives for every subsequent month after the student's death. In this case, the tuition fee will be reimbursed for the months of July and August.

Reimbursement of fees paid for a pre-Master’s program is not possible; the student is not entitled to a refund.  The CvB has established a procedure for reimbursement of tuition fees. This can be found in the TU/e 2017 Regulations for registration, academic career check, enrollment, and termination of enrollment. Reimbursement will only take place if a termination request has been submitted and approved (see also section 3.2 of this statute); in such cases, reimbursement will occur automatically.

Further information on the reimbursement of tuition fees

Legislation and regulations:

For more information:

  • ESA, tel. +31 (0)40 247 47 47

3.4 Notebook scheme

In order to follow programs at TU/e, it is essential that students have a notebook computer at their disposal. Therefore, TU/e offers the opportunity to certain categories of students to purchase a notebook computer. The notebook computer is supplied with a package of accessories, software, insurance, guarantee and support  The conditions are as follows:

Target group:

The target group consists of students who have enrolled for the first time as Bachelor’s student at the TU/e that year and who pay their tuition fees there. This means that their main enrollment is at the TU/e. (See also paragraph 3.1.2 of this statute.) Master’s and pre-Master’s students, secondary enrollment students and external students are not entitled to take part in the notebook scheme. They qualify for the cost price scheme. 

Students who re-enroll at the TU/e after a break from their studies can submit a request to the director of the ESA to see whether they qualify for a notebook. 

Participation agreement:

Students in the target group who wish to take part in the TU/e notebook scheme will be asked to sign a participation agreement. This agreement sets out all rights and obligations regarding the notebook. The agreement specifies, among other things, that if students wish to be eligible for a notebook, they have to transfer a certain amount of money to the TU/e (under certain circumstances, students can get an interest-free loan from the bank) and sign a certificate of indebtedness. 

Every Bachelor’s student who enrolls at the TU/e for the first time in the academic year in question and pays his tuition fees there qualifies – once – for a subsidized notebook. Students of Bachelor’s programs must pay (€830.00) and sign a TU/e notebook obligation for the remaining amount (€570.00). For Bachelor’s, Master’s students, and pre-Master’s students who previously bought a notebook through the TU/e, the amount specified in the obligation is reduced annually by the amount specified in the participation agreement, and the remaining amount will be canceled if the student successfully completes the Bachelor’s or Master’s program, or if he was enrolled at the TU/e (main enrollment) for three consecutive years.

Premature termination of enrollment:

Students who terminate their main enrollment at the TU/e prematurely can choose whether they want to keep their notebook computer or sell it to the TU/e. The TU/e will buy the notebook computer from the student for the amount outstanding on the TU/e Notebook obligation. Any amount paid in excess is calculated and settled with the student. If the student wishes to keep the notebook, he must pay the outstanding amount on the obligation, and the loan (if one was taken out) comes into effect immediately. Notebooks can only be kept if the software has been removed. Students must ask the ICT Services Student to remove the software. 

A notebook can only be sold back to the TU/e if it is in good condition. Once a student graduates, he can no longer sell the notebook computer back to the TU/e. When a student finishes his study, he must return the notebook computer to the ICT Services Student or have the software removed by the ICT Services Student within five working days. If the notebook is returned or the software removed too late, administrative costs of €50 per month or part of a month will be charged.

Cost price regulation

Pre-Master’s and Master’s students are eligible for the cost price regulation. The can order a notebook computer at a reduced rate between July 15 and October 1. This order is directly sent to the supplier by means of a portal, after which the notebook is delivered to the home address. The TU/e is not a party in this purchase and not a port of call. 

Students not making use of the notebook scheme

Students who cannot or do not wish to make use of the notebook scheme must purchase a notebook themselves that minimally meets the requirements for notebooks as those supplied by the TU/e. The TU/e expects active participation of its students. Using a notebook for education (including testing) is part of this. Only in extreme cases, and only on an incidental basis, shall the TU/e lend notebooks for education or testing. Students may make use of ICT Services for support in the installation of educational software. Note that the notebook must meet the minimum hardware requirements for the educational software. Particularly the graphics card (GPU) of the TU/e notebook was chosen fort he following software packages:

  • Revit
  • Autocad
  • Unigraphics NX10
  • SolidWorks

The requirements that a student’s notebook must meet to have support from ICT Services are the following: 

  • Dutch or English operating system 
  • An operating system supported by the developer (Windows, MacOS and Linux) with the exception of preview and RTM versions
  • In the case of new releases of operating systems, ICT Services may require some time to gain sufficient knowledge of its use 
  • An installed and active virus scanner
  • An active and correctly installed firewall
  • An up-to-date operating system
  • Keyboard layout: English or International English.

Further information on notebook computers

For more information: 

  • ESA, tel. +31 (0)40 - 247 47 47
  • Educationguide.tue.nl
  • ICT Services Student tel. + 31 (0)40 - 247 88 88

3.5 Clickers

In order to take programs at the Bachelor College, it is necessary for students to have certain study material and digital resources (e.g. a clicker) at their disposal. Clickers are designed to make education more interactive, for example by asking students to provide feedback, or through quizzes. They can also be used in interim tests. Students must be in possession of a clicker before the degree program commences. Students who begin a Bachelor’s program at the TU/e in September will be provided with a loan clicker at the same time as the notebooks are issued. After this, clickers can be obtained from the ICT Services Student.


Students who have questions about the clicker or any technical matter can contact the ICT Services Student. All information relating to other matters, such as reimbursement and clicker loan, can be found at the ESA website ESA: http://educationguide.tue.nl/clicker.

Method of issue

The TU/e loans clickers to students, who will be required to sign a loan agreement. No costs are involved for students. Students are expected to return their clicker to the TU/e upon termination of enrollment or completion of their study program. 

Loan agreement

Students who enter into a loan agreement for a clicker are expected to take good care of the clicker. If the clicker gets lost or broken as a result of negligence on the part of the student, the student must pay replacement costs of €60 or provide a replacement clicker. The replacement clicker must be of the same type as that loaned to the student by the TU/e. 

Loan clickers for non-Bachelor College students

Non-Bachelor College students, who in certain cases require a clicker for their degree program, can request a loan clicker from the ICT Services Student. The clickers can be borrowed for one quartile, and are registered as such. The loan period can be extended if the clicker is required for a further quartile. Non-Bachelor College students are entitled to borrow a clicker if they require it for no more than three subjects. If a student is taking four or more courses for which a clicker is required, he must enter into a loan agreement for the clicker. 

Students who terminate their studies:

Students who started their studies before September 1, 2015,at the TU/e can hand in their clickers to the ICT Services Student. The repayment is calculated according to the remaining duration of the guarantee. There are four possible scenarios:

  • If a clicker is returned no later than one quarter after the start of the academic year in which it was issued, the student receives a repayment of €50.
  • If a clicker is returned before the end of the first academic year, the student receives a repayment of €40.
  • If a clicker is returned before the end of the second academic year, the student receives a repayment of €20.
  • If a clicker is returned later than two academic years following issue, no repayment is made.

The ESA deals with the financial settlement. Students who have a loan clicker and terminate their studies can hand it in to the ICT Services Student at the TU/e. Students who fail to return their clicker will be charged replacement costs of €60.

3.6 Tu/e Students’ financial support regulations (profileringsfonds) (exceptional circumstances fund)

3.6.1 TU/e Tu/e Students’ financial support regulations (profileringsfonds) regulations 2017-2018

The TU/e Financial support regulations for students 2017–2018 (Regeling Profileringsfonds, abbreviated as the RP 2017–2018) offers two forms of financial support for students:

  • Graduation allowance, available to students who have yet to pass the final examination, who have received or still receive study grants or have experienced one or more exceptional circumstances during the time in which they received those grants, due to which their studies have suffered delay or are likely to do so (Article 7.51 ff. of the WHW.
  • Committee officer grant, available to students who have successfully completed the propaedeutic phase, in the years preceding the academic year in which they perform an administrative function, have achieved at least 75% of the nominal study progress. While performing an administrative function, students must fulfill a study progress requirement specified in the regulations (12 or 15 credits). For a student who needs to obtain 12 credits or less (for Bachelor College students 15 credits or less) in order to qualify for a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree, the academic progress requirement is equal to the remaining number of credits to be obtained. There is no study progress requirement for a student who has nominally studied and no longer needs to obtain any credits on September 1st in order to be eligible for his Bachelor’s degree, provided the student subsequently enrolls in a Master’s program. Students who re-enroll in a Bachelor's program are not eligible for a grant. 
  • A maximum of nine months’ financial support can be provided for each academic year in which the student holds an administrative function.

The exceptional circumstances under which a student is eligible for a graduation allowance are: 

  1. illness;
  2. a disability or chronic illness;
  3. pregnancy and childbirth;
  4. exceptional family circumstances;
  5. membership of a study program committee, being a student representative for a Department Board, the University Council, or the Department Council, as specified in Appendix 1;
  6. an insufficiently manageable study program;
  7. a delay in study resulting from participation in sports at a top level.
  8. a program no longer receives accreditation so that a student cannot apply for a student loan

Foreign students are eligible for graduation support in the case of illness, if they meet the requirements. In cases as referred to in b to g, foreign students may, at the discretion of the student counselor, be eligible for a graduation allowance, if they comply with the remaining requirements of these regulations.

Exceptional circumstances on the basis of which a student may be eligible for a committee officer grant include: 

  1. membership of the board of a student organization with a sufficient number of members and with full legal authority;
  2. activities of an administrative or social nature that the Executive Board also considers to be in the interest of the university or of the program that the student is following.

Foreign students are also entitled to a committee officer grant, in accordance with paragraph 3, as long as they meet the relevant requirements. If a request for financial support submitted on the basis of circumstances other than those specified in paragraphs 2 and 3 is not granted by the Executive Board and this would lead to a situation of significant unfairness, said circumstances could also be seen as reason for granting financial support.

The financial support for the 2017–2018 academic year is €290.68 per. In the case of students who are eligible for a supplementary grant, these amounts can be raised by a maximum of 69% of the supplementary grant.  

For foreign students, the support is equal to the basic grant for students not living at home per recognized month.

Reporting to and maintaining contact with academic advisors and/or ESA student counselors

The conditions for receiving a graduation allowance and the procedures for requesting it are specified in the RP 2017–2018. The CvB has assigned the implementation of this regulation to ESA student counselors.

Students who expect to suffer delay in their studies as a result of one of the circumstances listed above under a, b, c, d, and f should report (or have someone report on their behalf) to the academic advisor in the department or the ESA student counselor as soon as possible, or at least within five months. If the exceptional circumstances are expected to last longer than five months, reporting later could have consequences for any additional payment from the graduation support fund. 

Students who decide to terminate or suspend their studies are also obliged to contact the student counselor. They must do so within a specific period. 

N.B. An application for a graduation allowance must be submitted no later than December 31st of the academic year following the year in which the exceptional circumstances occurred. For committee officer grants, the application must be submitted no later than May 1st of the academic year in which the administrative function is performed.  

For further conditions, see the relevant regulations at www.educationguide.tue.nl.

Further information on financial support

Legislation and regulations:

For more information:

3.6.2 Special forms of financial support

The forms of financial support that exist are described below. Further information is available from the ESA.

Private fund

The Royal Institute of Engineers (KIVI) controls the Study and Travel Fund. This fund provides financial support to students who do their graduation project abroad (outside Europe). An application for a KIVI contribution can only be submitted through the ESA on an individual basis. The KIVI fund only makes one-off payments, in the form of grants (which generally do not exceed €500). To apply for a KIVI grant, students can contact the ESA, tel. (0)40-247 4747, where they can obtain the conditions and an application form. The application can only be processed if all the conditions stated on the form are met. Applications must always be submitted through the ESA.

Scholarships for study and internships abroad

TU/e offers ample opportunities to partly finance a study or internship stay abroad. For information, students should contact the ESA. The Nuffic Beurs Opener also offers detailed information on scholarships and funds for study, internships and research abroad (www.nuffic.nl - www.wilweg.nl – www.tue.nl/goingabroad - www.beursopener.nl).

Fund book 

The fund book (FondsenDisk 2011) contains an address list of all private funds in the field of education and culture. The FondsenDisk 2011 is available in the reading hall of the Central Library, under code AEH00FON (at the CD section) in the Metaforum, phone no. +31 (0) (40) (247) 23 81;

Stichting Universiteitsfonds Eindhoven (Eindhoven University Fund Foundation)

Associations (including study associations), students and staff of the TU/e can apply to the Eindhoven University Fund Foundation (Stichting Universiteitsfonds Eindhoven, UFe) for financial support for projects. The application is assessed against the objectives of the fund to determine whether the project is eligible for financial support. It is important that several aspects of the project align with the principles of the fund.

The UFe only provides support to projects (preferably large projects) that benefit several staff/students of the TU/e. The UFe attaches great importance to the potential international character of projects, and to affinity with the business world and possibilities for knowledge exchange. The UFe also seeks to contribute to the student climate of the TU/e and the city of Eindhoven.

Further information can be obtained via

3.7 Damages or back-payment of tuition and examination fees

Anyone who wishes to receive a certificate as proof of a successfully completed examination must submit a request to this effect to the CvB. If it should emerge that he was not enrolled or not enrolled correctly during a specific year but still took programs or examinations, the CvB may decide that the certificate can still be issued, but only after the tuition or examination fees in question have been paid. 

Anyone who is not enrolled and makes use of the study or examination facilities must pay damages to the TU/e. The amount that must be paid is the tuition fee that would have been due on correct enrollment. In addition, anyone using the study or examination facilities without authorization may be prosecuted and punished with a second category fine (currently up to €4,050).

Further information on damages or back-payment of tuition and examination fees