Being abroad


It’s often for the people who stay at home, very worrying and frightening to find out that something has happened to a family-member, a fellow-student and colleague. The outbreak of sudden riots or war can also be very stressful. That’s why it’s important that you leave contact addresses behind.

Checklist in case of emergencies

  • Try to obtain clarity about the situation. Make agreements about the tasks (who is going to contact who).
  • Contact the TU/e (contact person) of the student, or the agency who has arranged the work placement. It’s possible that they might be able to give you more information.
  • Contact your family as soon as possible.
  • Contact the travel agency (find out the possibilities of an early return).
  • Contact the insurance company (in case of an accident or illness).
  • Contact the Dutch representative in case of riots and war. The ministry of foreign affaires in Holland could also be of use to gain information.

Insurance AIG Travel Guard

TU/e students who are abroad for internship/exchange or a studytrip of their department and who are registered for the  AIG Travel Guard can contact the 24 hour Assistance Center van AIG Business Travel Insurance Travel Guard in case of emergencies:

+ 31 10 4535656

+ 44 1273738302

The AIG Policy Number of TU/e: 60.18.7816

We stongly recommend to inform your TU/e mentor, exchange coordinator of your department and/or the ESA/intenrational office as soon as possible in case of emergency or other problems during your stay abroad.