Financial matters

If you’re planning on going abroad for a period of time, it’s wise to make sure that several matters are taken care of. 

Dienst Uitvoering Onderwijs

At DUO you can:

  • Put your OV-studentenkaart on hold temporarily to get a compensation for your time abroad. More information can be found on the website of DUO.
  • When applicable: apply for a ‘uitwonendenbeurs’ for the study abroad period

Bank matters

  • Authorize parents/partner so they can help you in case of emergencies or make sure you have access to ‘internet banking’.
  • Arrange a credit card (when applicable).


  • Create a digital file that contains all important documents and details and upload it, for example, to the Cloud, so you can access it at any time 
  • Leave a copy of important documents (like your insurance policy details) for your parents or partner – in case something happens they’ll be able to help you arrange certain matters. 
  • Put an ICE (in case of emergency) number in your cell phone 

Directly to