External internship

The 15 credits external internship or the 30 credits external internship offers you the opportunity to develop academic skills in a different working environment. The type and content of this internship will depend on your background and ambitions. The subject and place of the internship needs be chosen in close cooperation with a TU/e internship supervisor.

Generally speaking, students must carry out the external internship outside the TU/e campus and therefore also outside the physical location of the Department Applied Physics, including the location of other TU/e departments or institutes at the TU/e campus. If possible, the external internship is carried out abroad, i.e. outside the Netherlands. When you decide to take the internship abroad, you are allowed to carry out the internship at a research institute, a university or a company.  Within the Netherlands the internship is carried out at a company or at a research institute (not a Dutch University)

A more detailed specification of the requirements regarding the locations for the external internship is described in the Program and Examination Regulations.

Information about studying in times of COVID-19 can be found here.

Prerequisites and enrollment

You may start your external internship at any time during your studies, however, your study program must have been approved by the Examination Committee (Study Program Committee).

Enrollment takes place via the External internship registration form and Osiris.

To do

Please check the external internship study guide and the assessment protocol for more information regarding the organization of the internship and follow all steps carefully. When you started your internship before 1 september 2021, please contact CSA AP to receive the assesment protocol that concerns you.

Before starting your internship, you must send your internship contract to CSA AP through this registration form.

Finalizing the external internship

After the internship is finished, you have to hand in your internship report at the organization/company and your responsible Applied Physics supervisor and give a presentation at TU/e. The responsible Applied Physics supervisor fills out the assessment form and sends in the signed assessment form and your internship report at CSA AP. CSA AP will process your grade. More information can be found in the assessment protocol and the studyguide.