All students at the TU/e are required to have a notebook during the course of their studies at the TU/e. Students who do not wish to participate in the TU/e notebook programme, can use a private notebook that meets the minimum requirements as described below. The TU/e expects active participation of all of her students. The use of a notebook for educational purposes (including examination and assessment) is part of this. Students can contact ICT Services for Students in the Metaforum for support in installing the software required.
Hardware and operating system must be x86 or x64 compatible.
Make sure your notebook meets the minimum hardware requirements. The graphics card (GPU) of the TU/e notebook (of the notebook programme) has been selected for its excellent performance with the following software packages:
- Unigraphics NX10
Your private notebook should meet the following requirements:
- A Dutch or English operating system;
- An up-to-date operating system supported by the developer (Windows, MacOS and Linux), with the exception of preview and RTM versions;
- In case of any new releases of the operating system, the ICT Services for Students require time to acquire the necessary knowledge;
- An installed and actively checking virus scanner;
- An active and correctly installed and set up firewall;
- Keyboard layout: English or international English.
For assessment purposes (exams), your private notebook should meet the following requirements:
- The notebook should have a screen, a keyboard and a mouse (i.e. no tablet);
- The notebook should be able to run a full-fledged (x86 or x64 Linux) operating system;
- The notebook should have a Linux with open source drivers supported WLAN chip;
- The notebook should have one or several external USB-A ports;
- The notebook should be able to start in UEFI and BIOS mode from a USB stick in an USB-A port;
- The notebook should have at least 4GB internal working memory;
- The notebook should have a battery with a battery life of at least 3 hours, and your notebook should be fully charged at the start of each exam.
Want to know more? Contact LIS Services at 040 - 247 2000 or via the contact form below.