Reasons for Appeal

If you do not agree with decisions of the Examinations Committee (e.g. regarding binding study advice) or of an examiner from your department, relating to admission to examinations, the grades awarded, to the entrance examination/Colloquium Doctum, or the determination of your total number of credits (in relation to your study progress or admission to a Masters program), you can lodge an appeal.

You can also submit an appeal if the body concerned refuses to make a decision. This is the case if the decision is not made within the statutory period, or if no period is stipulated. The authority of the CBE and the grounds on which an appeal can be submitted are stipulated in sections 7.60  to 7.63 of the Higher Education and Research Act (see also chapter 7 of the Student Statute).


Make sure you submit an appeal within six weeks of the date on which the decision was made. If you submit the appeal later, there is a good chance that it will be declared inadmissible and not processed. The facility will ensure that your appeal is forwarded to the Examination Appeals Board (CBE).


After receipt of the appeal, but before it is processed by the CBE, there will be a meeting between you and the Examinations Committee to seek a solution.

If a settlement is reached, the appeal procedure is considered complete and you will be requested to withdraw the appeal. If a settlement is not reached, the Examinations Committee will send an objection to the CBE and the case will be dealt with in a public hearing. The CBE will issue a written judgment.

In cases of immediate haste, it is also possible to request the chairman of the CBE for a temporary judgment.

Appeal at the Higher Education Appeals Tribunal

If you do not agree with the judgment on the appeal, you can lodge a further appeal at the Higher Education Appeals Tribunal (CBHO).

You must in principle lodge this appeal within six weeks of the date on which the judgment was sent.

There are additional costs relating to this procedure, amounting to court fees of €41. If the CBHO rules in your favor, the university will reimburse the court fees.

Directly to